Migrant Ireland
Migrant Ireland

Jobseeker's Benefit
Jobseeker's Allowance
Habitual Residence Condition
Making applications OR appeals

Supplementary Welfare Allowance

Supplementary Welfare Allowance is a payment to people that have no income. Outlines the conditions for entitlement to Supplementary Welfare Allowance including the means test.

Supplementary Welfare Allowance rates from January 2011

Supplementary Welfare Allowance maximum rate for people aged 25 and over
  Personal rate Increase for a Qualified Adult Increase for a Qualified Child
Maximum rate €186 €124.80 €29.80


Supplementary Welfare Allowance maximum rate for people under 25
Age Personal rate Increase for a Qualified Adult
18 - 19 €100 €100
20 - 21 €100 €100
22 - 24 €144 €124.80


You will normally qualify for Supplementary Welfare Allowance if you satisfy the following conditions:
  • You are living in the state
  • You satisfy the means test
  • You have applied for any other benefit/allowance you may be entitled to
  • You satisfy the habitual residence test, except for the Exceptional Needs Payment. EU/EEA workers and Swiss nationals working here will satisfy the habitual residence condition. However, people from the EU/EEA or Switzerland who move to Ireland in search of employment are subject to the habitual residence test in the normal way while looking for work.
  • You have registered for work with FÁS if you are of working age

You will not normally qualify for Supplementary Welfare Allowance if you are:

  • In full-time work, that is, working for more than 30 hours per week
  • In full-time education
  • Involved in a trade dispute. However, you may claim Supplementary Welfare Allowance for your dependants

You should apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance to the Community Welfare Officer at your local health centre as soon as the need arises. You must fill in a Supplementary Welfare Allowance claim form, but the Community Welfare Officer can help you with this. To help process your claim, you should have the following

  • PPS Number for yourself, your spouse/civil partner and your children
  • Proof of residency
  • Proof of identity, for example, a passport, driving licence, work permit, immigration (GNIB) card, etc.
  • Evidence of any income you and your spouse/civil partner and children are getting
  • A note from your local social welfare office and your last wages slip if you have just applied for Jobseeker's Benefit/Assistance
  • Your Child Benefit Book or Birth Certificates for any children you may be claiming for if you do not have PPSNs for them
  • Documents to show your income and financial situation, such as, pay slips, P45, P35, P60, bank statements, etc.

You have the right to appeal against a decision if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your claim. To appeal, you should write to the Appeals Officer at your Local Health Office.